Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why can't a Chinese-American be a true American?

I am a 3rd generation Chinese-American guy and can never honestly say that deep down inside I ever felt like a true American. As American as I try to be, it will never be enough. I am always going to be the perpetual foreigner based on umption. And, please don't tell me to go back home to China. I have never been to China and will never know how it is like to be a real Chinese in China. My grandfather had used his sweat, blood and tears to complete the railroads of the western USA. My people had a part in the building of this nation. Sometimes we get blamed for not imilating enough. But when we do imilate, white people feel threatened and say we are imilating too fast and posing a threat. Black and Hispanic people hate and envy us for trying act white and cater to whites. We are in a no-win situation. My uncles fought for Uncle Sam in many previous wars, but we are still seen as enemies on a daily basis. What does the future hold? Where is my "American Dream?"

No comments:

Post a Comment