Sunday, January 8, 2012

What are some of the biggest concerns in having an alaskan malamute?

I'm owned by an 8 1/2 yr old Mal named Yukon. He's my third and the joy of my life. He has been going to dog school since he was 9 weeks old. We are members of a group that perform to music with their dogs, we work on utility exercises and he is trained to pull a wagon. I mention all this to show how I've tried to give him a 'job' to do and things to stimulate him mentally. I second the person who suggested working at a Malamute rescue. Perhaps attend a confirmation show or obedience competition. Try to get some exposure to large breeds. Dog school is a requirement! Your Mal will need to be socialized. I would also recommend watching/reading Cesar Milan. Perhaps the local dog school instructor could evaluate you as to whether you have the right personality to own a Mal. When I see a dog having issues It's often related to the handler and issues they have transferring to the dog. I do not have a fenced yard for my Mal. I work outside the home so am gone for 10 hrs a day. He was crate trained as a puppy and eventually was able to be loose in the house. We have large windows so he can see out in all directions. When we lived for a year in a house with fewer, small windows this was a problem. He was not happy to hear activity outside and not be able to see what was going on. This could be a problem for you in an apartment. I believe who you are and how you handle yourself will make all the difference. It would probably be better if you had more experience with large dogs. It's good that you're researching and have time to get the knowledge and experience you'll need to make this a successful relationship. The best to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment